Invest South Tyneside is committed to keeping residents and businesses updated on the latest coronavirus (COVID-19) information. We are working with government and other partners nationally and regionally provide the advice, guidance and targeted support you need.
Relevant updates and information will be shared on our social media accounts
Linkedin: Invest South Tyneside
Business Support Hub
We have established a dedicated Business Support Hub, which can be contacted on 0191 481 3456 or by email at email@example.com.
South Tyneside Council will be paying one-off grants to a significant number of small and medium-sized businesses.
- Any retail/hospitality/leisure businesses operating from premises within South Tyneside with a Rateable Value up to £15,000 will receive a £10,000 grant.
- Any retail/hospitality/leisure businesses operating from premises within South Tyneside with a Rateable Value between £15,000 and £51,000 will receive a £25,000 grant.
- Any small business in any sector operating from business premises in receipt of Small Business Rates Relief within South Tyneside will receive a £10,000 grant.
The Council is working at a fast pace to ensure the emergency grants are paid directly to business bank accounts and rates relief is applied where applicable.
All businesses that are eligible for one of these grants will be contacted in due course, but an online form has been set up to verify eligibility and business bank details as quickly as possible.
Complete the online emergency business grant request form
Please only complete the form once. If your business doesn't meet Government criteria you will be advised of other support available.
More information about the Business Grants and eligibility criteria can be found on the Business Support Grant Frequently Asked Questions webpage..
Business rates for the coming financial year will be waived for all businesses within the retail, hospitality and leisure sector.
Qualifying businesses will be advised by South Tyneside Council as soon as possible.
Government Business Support
A comprehensive Business Support website is now available for all the very latest up to date information as new announcements are made.
Key areas of support include:
- Financial support for businesses
- Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme
- Coronavirus Business Interruption Loan Scheme
- Deferral of VAT payments
- Preventing your business from being evicted
- Coronavirus support for business from outside government
- Additional government resources to support your business during coronavirus disruptions
- Support from Business Representative Organisations and Trade Associations
Find out more on the Business Support website.
For all HMRC enquiries please call 0800 159 559.
Guidance for Employers on Social Distancing
Tailored advice for different business sectors and scenarios on how social distancing and other measures might be implemented to help protect their workforce and customers from coronavirus while still continuing to trade has been published. This is available on the government website: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/social-distancing-in-the-workplace-during-coronavirus-covid-19-sector-guidance
The North East Growth Hub is providing a COVID-19 Toolkit to help businesses plan for and respond to the virus, and which is the best route to practical and financial help for businesses. Visit: COVID-19 Toolkit
Business Investment Team
Our dedicated Business Investment Team can offer practical support including information about business grants for North East businesses.
We make choosing South Tyneside an easy decision, get in touch for a chat about your business needs.
We are your single point of contact
Our specialist team will work with you to understand all aspects of starting up or relocating your business to South Tyneside. We act as an extension of your team, providing:
- Support to build a business case for locating in South Tyneside, including sector research and intelligence
- Assistance with planning, property search and business rates. We work with all property agents across the area
- Information and advice about attracting finance and accessing financial assistance for North East businesses
- Practical day-to-day support from set-up to becoming operational, including recruitment and training support
- Ongoing support to help your company grow and deliver successful projects
- Information and introductions to contacts and networks in your sector
- Strategic relationship building with key personnel locally, nationally or at international head offices
Whether your business requires assistance with planning, property search, business rates, employing staff or attracting finance - the Business Investment Team is the single point of contact for your business in South Tyneside.
Preparing to leave the EU (Brexit)
The Government has published guidance for business in preparation for Brexit. Answer some quick questions to get advice specific to your industry.
GOV.UK: Get ready for Brexit
South Tyneside businesses should also check the North East Growth Hub Brexit toolkit.
Financial assistance for North East businesses
If you're looking to raise funding or investment for your growing business, talk to our team and we will work with you to explore the best options to achieve your goals.
Our team have a broad knowledge of the investment programmes available, and can offer guidance for businesses at all stages of growth.
Some useful websites include:
North East Fund - £120million investment programme with five funds available for SMEs in different sector, with certain growth plans
North East Business Support Fund - small business for business improvement projects across Tyne & Wear
North East Growth Hub - Finance & Funding portal including information on funding, finance and loans
Please get in touch to discuss your business plans and funding requirements and our specialist team can offer up to date information about available financial assistance for North East businesses.
We would love to hear about the plans for your business, and chat through what we can offer in South Tyneside. Contact us to arrange a call or a visit.
Get in touch